2014년 2월 23일 일요일

Cafe Poem

It isn't an understatement that Myeongdong is one of the most popular shopping places in Seoul, especially for tourists. Here, I often feel that I'm traveling because of the various languages I hear on the streets. One minor set back of my Myeongdong experience is the lack of non-franchise cafe. It's not that I'm against getting a drink from places like Coffee Bean from time to time, but it's such a shame to miss the quirkiness that different cafes possess. It's like excavating an unknown jewel, when you find a cafe that not only has good drinks and desserts, but is also decorated tastefully. Honestly, there is nothing that rivals that moment of triumphant discovery. Cafe Poem is a ray of light place I found in pursuit of unique cafes in Myeongdong.


The cafe is composed of two floors and it looks like a very cozy home with trinkets and polaroid pictures hung on walls. It gave off the impression of a home of someone, anyone you are really familiar with.


This is the view from the second floor. You can see the kitchen and the counter very clearly from here. All the better for our scrutiny. Actually, a clever move on their part, because a lot of more people ordered items that were delivered from the kitchen rather than ordering them from the menu.

Orders are served and taken at your tables, so sitting on the second floor terrace (?) is no trouble at all. Besides, it's my very personal, but firm belief that when there's a second floor, you make use of it. So I dragged my friend upstairs.

First, I ordered an Oreo Tok Tok. 


This wonderful concoction is composed of Oreo slush, vanilla ice cream, whipped cream, complete with a cherry on top. By the way, eating the cherry is not recommended, unless you want to experience a new paradigm of cherry flavour. So why is there a "Tok Tok" in the name? Well, "tok tok" is a Korean onomatopoeia that is used to express small popping noises. If you look closely, you can see the green candies that are responsible for the "tok tok" of the drink. Overall, it wasn't bad. I wished it tasted more like Oreos rather than a typical milkshake. Oreo Tok Tok was more of a milkshake with Oreos rather than an Oreo milkshake. Does that make sense? 

Before I introduce the dessert, I must say I was already excited for it the moment my order was taken. I was skeptical at first, because the picture looked too good.Warm waffle covered in an abundance of strawberries and whipped cream looked absolutely delightful. However, everything, even the Big Mac looks good in pictures hence the skepticism. I was very wrong though. 




My stomach just started growling like crazy and I'm sure mine's not the only one. Just look at the amount of strawberries on the waffle! It certainly satisfied my expectations. The strawberries were also of good quality. As for the waffles, they make it on the spot, right when you order so it's nice, warm, and fluffy. Apparently, this Strawberry Waffle is one of the most popular menus in Cafe Poem and as someone who tried it, this is not surprising. My friend laughed saying I looked overly excited throughout my whole encounter with the waffle.

So if you need a new dating spot or a place to hangout with friends, why not head to Cafe Poem? You will enjoy the coziness that the cafe provides, especially if you are jaded with the typical interior and menu of franchise cafes.The food is also good, which is always a plus.

Cafe Poem:
54-7 Myeong-dong 2(i)-ga, Jung-gu, Seoul
02-776-5003

댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기